Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.

Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Organized Bible Felts

Tackle It Tuesday Meme

These Bible felts are such a wonderful source of letting the children "see" what they are learning, I have really enjoyed them a great deal! What I don't enjoy so much is the way that they are organized in this awkward box! In our tight quarters it seems it takes up a weird amount of space...I ahve not been happy with three different locations I have moved it to...the box is 2'3" x 1'7" and I am not sure about the thickness, maybe 3 inches... As you can see, it doesn't even close tightly:



What makes this box difficult is that the felts are organized onto these boards, you have to move the boards to each thing you need to get, usually about 3 to 5 different boards to get something from...There are 12 boards of a total of 600 felts:

SO I had to find a new way to organize these felts to make them more fun to use!! The first step was to return all the used felts to their boards with corresponding number except the scenery items, they don't have their own board...



I need to write the number of each felt item on the back of it...the number is on each felt but it is soooo little and the way I planned on organizing them now, that little number would make my whole idea more difficult...



With the smaller items that are too small to write on (ie apples, small torches, rocks, etc) I will write the number and item on a quart baggy so that it would be easy to find these things as needed, and then place them inside the gallon sized bag in the section that they belong:



I put them into this binder as I get each baggy done, the numbers of the felts that each baggy holds is in the corner of the bag:



I will also include an extra gallon baggy for the current story. The children often play with the felts for some time after we tell the story with the felts and I thought it would be good to have a baggy to put them in while they are not in the right baggies.

There 1 full board done, only 11 more to go!! ;o)

Oh! And if you are looking into getting your own Bible felts I had searched them out to the best price and found them at
Homespun Kids, check them out!!

And don't forget to visit 5 Minutes for Mom for more Tackle-It-Tuesdays!!

7 comments:

My Trendy Tykes said...

Great tackle! I need to get some of those bible felts.

Linda

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Great tackle!! I can see how putting them all back would be a chore. I like how you organized them now. Those Bible felts are a great idea. I'll have to look into that.

Lisa said...

Great tackle Mona! Using a binder is such a great idea. We have these very felts at our church and they have been organized so many different ways over the years, but they are still unorganized. ;o) I think it's time I tried to organize them into a binder. Thanks for the idea! :o)

Mrs. Breum said...

Good idea! I have the same felts and store them on top of the fridge~ between the fridgetop and the built-in cabinet. It's perfect fit.

But I LOVE your idea to write the #'s on the backs- the printed ones are so small! Thanks!

Lore said...

Oh Mona, what a GREAT idea and a great tackle!!! I have the same Betty Lukens Bible Felts and I agree with you, the box is weird in shape and hard to store, I had it under the bes, now it is on top of my closet :( I am going to try your idea, it looks neater and better organized and the current story baggie makes sense!!!! Thanks! and God Bless!

Jennwith4 said...

Whew! Good job on those Bible felts! My husband (a pastor) wants me and another lady to organize all the felts in our sunday school cabinets but we've been putting it off. Guilt!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by with the message of "treat yourself better" - it gave my day a lift ;)

Great tackle. I love the way you managed to deal with the initial awkward size and turned it into something more suitable. Thanks for sharing. I'll keep in mind the next time i face an awkward box! Thanks for sharing ;)