Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.

Monday, January 18, 2010

Homemade Heating/Cooling Pads

Have you ever tried a homemade heating pad? They are very nice to use, and very simple to make! I made these ones up this week, and wanted to share.

I used only beans for the cold pad to keep in the freezer, I felt the beans would hold the cold longer than rice and/or oatmeal.

For the hot pad I used the rice and oatmeal...beans work also, but the smell can be kind of yucky...I also used cinnamon and oregano for a good smell...I plan on heating with a lavendar oiled cotton ball for a relaxation ;o)

And then all I needed was about 1/2 yard of cloth for each one.



I used a blue cloth for cold and a red cloth for hot (orginal, huh?!) Each cloth was about 14.5 inches by 22 inches. I turned the cloth into a "bag" by folding in half on the short side, sewing one short end and the open long end.

With help from ds7, I filled the bags up, 1/3 at a time, and then sewed each "pocket" closed. This made it so that the contents would be distributed evenly through the whole hot/cold pad. I hemmed closed the last pocket and then voila! All done :o) The blue one resides in the freezer and the red one resides on the shelf ready for use!

If ear problems frequent your home, the heating pad is an excellent way to take some of the pain out so the little ones can sleep! A great way to use the cold pad is on burns or bumps, and of course alternating the two on muscle aches can find some relief. Enjoy!

3 comments:

Cassandra said...

That's very cool!!

Unknown said...

You know, I never considered using anything besides rice. I've got lots of wheat berries, I wonder if they will work?

Not the Waltons said...

Really I would think that anything that would hold heat would work (aside from popcorn of course, lol) To try it out, use an old sock first ;o)