He that hath no rule over his own spirit is like a city that is broken down, and without walls.--Proverbs 25:28
How interesting that today's scripture was based on self-control! Over the past couple of weeks, this is something that I have truly been trying to understand and work on. I was brought up in a home where self-control and temperance were not taught. This has bled into my own home as well.
Why do I think this is an important thing to learn? Well, when there is no discipline in the home, no one controlling their behavior, this tends to break down the foundation that we desire for our home. There can not be two masters here, and with no self-control we are serving the *wrong* master!
There are several different areas that I struggle in, and without *self-control*, those areas simply won't change.
Is any among you afflicted? Let him pray. Is any cheerful? Let him sing psalms. --James 5:13
Just yesterday, my 2.5yog had fallen and hurt herself...My first thought was to give her a snack, make her feel better! Then I argued within myself that wasn't right and then turning on tv came to mind. Again, I argued within myelf that wasn't teaching her in her hard times either. My next thought was to pick up the Bible and read to her for a few moments. As I flipped the pages to find something simple to read, I had thought about how things might be if I was more consistent in bringing the children to the Word in their sad times.
Rather than indulging them in snacks or distracting them with television, I can hand down a habit that will bless them for the rest of their life. You see, eating, tv, smoking, drinking, for comfort lead to unhealthy lives that will be a lifelong struggle. Giving them the gift of the Word is much more of an encouragement than anything I could ever offer. It is also the best source for *true* comfort.
Praise God for opening my heart for wisdom in learning one step of self-control in my home. I am learning that following Him is *much* easier than lacking self-control and abondoning Him in simple things.


Loading...







0 comments:
Post a Comment