Click Here For Free Blog Backgrounds!!!
Blogaholic Designs

QuitMeter Counter courtesy of www.quitmeter.com.

Saturday, October 17, 2009

Hope This Doesn't Happen Again!

Late this morning, my husband was still stretched out on the bed. The children of course were wandering around doing what they do best! Ds7 and ds5 had ran into their room and were being silly when hubby heard/saw a loud BOOM on the wall. He told ds7 and ds5 that they were to be in timeout and to sit down, saying that it was not good for them to hit the wall so hard that it sounds like they are coming through it. I was in the living room and didn't hear or witness any of it...

After a while, I called a dear elderly friend as I talk to her every day. Hubby came in from outside and asked me to please get off the phone it was really important. He then apologized to ds7 and ds5 and told them they could come out of time out. From there I followed dh outside....

And he showed me that he had found a large bird on it's backside. The poor thing had broke it's neck and died :o( We first assumed it was some sort of hawk because of the size of it. It took a lot of research and digging through our bird books to learn what it was, when we finally did...I then did a search to see if it was a common occurance. Here is an interesting excerpt from an online resource:

Ruffed Grouse
During September, the brood breaks apart more often and individuals or small groups may go off on their own for a short time. In October, broods break up and individuals disperse and move into new areas. Grouse move an average of 1 or 2 miles and then settle down in an area where they are likely to spend the rest of their lives.

When dispersing, young grouse may end up in unsuitable areas. Losses due to accidents and predation are high during this period. Grouse are hit by cars or fly into house windows at this time because the birds move more than they usually do. By late fall, most birds settle into an area that will be their new home. Young males occasionally drum in an attempt to set up a territory for the following spring.

While searching, I also read, "I have had a few dinners provided per year by grouse hitting the house" NOT us, lol :o)

I did take pictures of the grouse, but decided to share a picture of a living one instead ;o)

http://www.audubon.org/

1 comments:

Tawnya said...

The Ruffed Grouse is our state bird in PA!