The children and I are now sitting down to eat some burritos I pulled out of the freezer. I made them this week by making refried beans from dried pintos and then putting a scoop on the tortilla shell along with cheese and onions, rolled them up and put them in freezer bags. I made about 30 and they are available to us with no other work then tossing them all into a casserole dish and into the oven until heated through. Here is the recipe I use.
Homemade Refried Beans
1 pound dry pinto beans, rinsed
2 Tbsp minced garlic, divided
1 15 oz can of stewed tomatoes
2 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp chili powder
2 Tbsp olive oil
Place beans in a large saucepan and cover with 1 inch water. Place over high heat and bring to boil. Whne the beans have come to a boil, drain, and return them to the same pot. Cover the beans with 2 inches of water, and stir in 1 Tbsp of garlic, the tomato, cumin and chili powder. Bring to a bowl over high heat then reduce heat to low and simmer until the beans are very soft, about 3 hours and 45 minutes, adding water as needed.
Once the beans have cooked, mash them with the remaining Tbsp of garlic, the oil and salt to taste; use additional water as needed to achieve desired consistency.
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Loading...







1 comments:
I have to start figuring out what is good to freeze and what isn't. Thanks for letting me know that these are freezable. ;0)
Post a Comment